Thursday, September 13, 2007

Missouri or Bust!!

Well we finally made it back from a long, but fun trip back East ( or should I say Midwest.) It was definitely interesting to say the least, but quite fun over all. The beginning started out a bit rough. We left from Tj's cabin in Eagar, AZ and made it outside of Amarillo, TX when Tj's dad's motorhome blew a tire. It happened at about 5:00 but being in such a small town, everything was closed so we had to wait until the next morning to get it fixed thus deciding to pull all of the trailors behind some shady Texaco gas station to sleep for the night. Our only source of the light was the flickering " Chalet Inn" motel sign next to us! I thought we were going to die out there and I wondered what I had gotten my self into but we made it through the night safely ( to my disbelief). Unfortunatly, the tire wasn't fixed until about 11:00 the next morning so we lost a good 8 hours of driving time.


We headed out as soon as it was fixed and no more than 2 hours after we left another tire popped on the side of the road. Luckily we were right across the street from a trucking station where they had the equipment to fix it. We pulled the other trailors to a gas station and set up a movie to watch while we waited. Please keep in mind there were 9 children and 7 adults so cramming into a trailor is always fun!! The upside to that was Tj and I got to take a shower for the first time that trip! hooray!!! We continued on our way and made it to the OK/ MO border before we stopped for the night in a Walmart parking lot.( I never thought this would be me)We woke up at about 4 am and continued our way to Stockton, MO where we would finally arrive for good!! we pulled our trailors into the church parking lot, changed really quick and went to church. It was definitely interesting to say the least but good to see what it's like. After church we drove to our " trailor park" where we hooked up and camped out ( like I said before, I never thought this would be me) After church, we went and looked at tJ's dad's property and were there no longer that 10 minutes when we were swarmed by ticks!! that's right, I said Ticks!! Luckily Tj and I never got bitten but a few of the kids did throughout the trip. Needless to say, we took off running and a few girls screaming but made it back to camp OK!!


There is a huge lake in Stockton so on Monday we decided to rent a jet ski and go play for the day. It was so nice, the weather was in the 80's and the water was so warm! The lake was huge and it even had an island in the middle with massive sail boats around. it was breath taking!!! we had a great time and got a little sun burned but that's ok. For any of you that know me, I was soaking up every ray I could!!


Tuesday we headed down to Branson, MO ( another 1 1/2 hours of driving 1 way) to go to Silver Dollar City. It's an amusement park with rollar coasters and such. It was really fun but it started rainging 1/2 way through so they shut down the rides and the only thing left open was the little kiddie rides. Needless to say, we had a great time on the big swings and flying elephants!! Oh ya, and the best part was the funnel cakes!! I have been craving one for so long and it was amazing!!!I guess something good came out of the midwest!!


Wednesday we headed for Nauvoo but took a detour to St Louis to go to the Arch. That was amazing to see. Tj got a little nervous at the top (and for any of you that don't know the ferris wheel story, remind me to tell you that one) so we weren't there for very long but it was really amazing to see this structure! I highly recommend it. Of course driving with 9 children and 7 adults you don't make it very far without having to pull over for a " potty break" and it takes a good hour to get lunch and dinner so by the time we were done at the Arch we drove another hour and were done for the day. Luckily we left the trailor in Stockton so we got a hotel for the night with a real bed and shower!!! I had never been so happy!!!


Thursday we arrived at Nauvoo and that was awesome to see. We did all of the tourist stuff and saw all of the buildings and did all of the tours. We also got to go to the temple and do sealings which was incredible! That temple is gorgeous and if you ever get a chance to go to Nauvoo, you better go there. It is such an amazing place and we felt so appreciative of our ancestors and those that sacrificed so much so that we could have what we do now!! AWESOME!!! anways- We spent the night there Thursday and Friday night and headed back for home on Saturday. We made it back to Stockton Saturday evening and went to dinner at some shady bar and lounge that TJ accidentally picked out but the food was pretty good. We spent the night and headed home on Sunday for one long drive! I believe 22 hours to be exact!! Of course we made it an hour before the big sign " Firework Superstore" showed up on a billboard and guess who swerved to thr right to pull over. "Shockingly" it hadn't even opened yet but TJ made us wait so that he could go in a buy over $100 worth of fireworks ( only to add to the pile that he already has sitting downstairs) Whatever makes him happy I guess!!

It was great trip but good to be home!! I missed the comforts of city life and my own bed and shower but it was so much fun to see the country and get out of the little bubble we live in here!!


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, You could do a tourist brochure for how to see the midwest. Good thing your degree is in PR!! And the pictures of Nauvoo are beautiful. TJ didn't know what a true pioneer you could be.

Molly and Molly said...

Jen, I love this post - "i never thought this would be me" - ahhahahaha! Also, you look SO cute in all those pictures, especially with the pink shirt and plaid shorts.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, i wish i was your kindergarten teacher too! See you at aleisha's baby shower next month! xoox

natalie said...

Fatty!! Your Home!! Loved reading this post, I'm so proud of you for surviving that, eh...adventure?

I'll call you, we need to hang out, how does next week sound?

Lindsey said...

YAY! I'm so glad to see an update! Your trip sounded like a BLAST!!! I can't wait to see Nauvoo - it's on my list!

We should road trip together someday - Kolter and TJ would be sure to keep things interesting! Love you guys lots!!

Caton said...

sounds like you had fun. i was dieing laughing at the thought of you roughing it trailer style..you are so hardcore

Mary-Sunshine said...

HOLY COW!!! What a trip! Trips are always a lot of work, but they are so much fun! You don't really relax until you get home!

Stewart said...

You'll have to tell me the ferris wheel story. I'm looking forward to that. Sounds like an exciting trip!

Jewelia Eagar said...

Nauvoo is amazing...sounds like a great trip! So are you making the move there are not??? Thats what I'm curious to know!

Cody, Ashley, Rilyn, Casen, Brigg, and Brooks said...

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'd love to make it to Nauvoo some day. Cody's not much of a traveler so we'll see how long it takes me to get there. Anyways...hows life treating you besides the excitment of "trailor park" living? Are you guys still thinking you might move out that way? We need to get together.

Michelle said...

Ok first thing I have to say is that I 100% despise ticks I can't stand them hate them and have nightmares about them! They are repulsive and nasty creatures, why the heck do they even exist? Now that I've said that it sounds like you had fun, but we still don't want you to move!!! And if TJ loves fireworks then he needs to come check out Aaron's stock pile!!! We've driven to New Mexico just because he wanted to buy some!

jackson family said...

glad you had all the excitement it adds to the trip! makes for good stories! except maybe the leeches!

Jamie & Johnny said...

I thought you were joking about riding the kiddie rides but nope, there are you, on the froggies. Cute pictures and what a fun trip. :)

aleisha said...

uhhhhh, well, that depends on what kind of projects... dont forget im 29 weeks pregnant here!!! What do you have in mind?

Erica Wiezbowski said...

omigosh! sounds like your travels were even worse than mine. we only had 11 people! :) so glad you're back! we need to get everyone together again! are you going over to the eagar's for "the office" party?

Karlee said...

Hey lady! Looks like your trip was fun! I went to Nauvoo and Missouri with my family a few years ago and it was really cool! I loved it!

About the vacuum, it's not cheap. We got our at Bed Bath & Beyond and used one of their 20% off coupons which saved us a lot. They have a 5-year warrantee, if it looses any suction you take it back to BB&B and they'll send it back for you and give you a brand new one. Like I said, it's pricey but I think you definitely get your money's worth :)